Lawyers Vote in Favor Courtroom tensions escalate amid lawsuits, protest calls, and political divisions.
A dramatic political and legal standoff has emerged surrounding the upcoming election of the Chattogram District Bar Association, with the court premises remaining tense due to allegations, counter-allegations, lawsuits, and protest programs just a day before voting.
Despite mounting controversy, the scheduled May 21 election will proceed after a requisition meeting of lawyers voted in favor of holding the election on time. Out of the attending members, 289 lawyers supported conducting the election as scheduled, while 171 voted for its cancellation.
General Secretary Hasan Ali Chowdhury confirmed the development, saying, “We informed the court about the decision of the requisition meeting. Since the majority favored holding the election, voting will take place on May 21 as scheduled.”
Political Divide Intensifies Crisis
The dispute surrounding the election has deepened due to conflicting positions among rival lawyer groups. Lawyers aligned with the Awami League alleged they were prevented from participating in the election process, while the Jamaat-backed Oikjoboddho Ainjibi Parishad withdrew from the polls citing irregularities and later filed a civil case seeking suspension of the election process.
On May 17, eight candidates from the Jamaat-backed panel filed a lawsuit alleging that the election commission office remained locked from inside during nomination submission hours and that several candidates were denied entry.
Presidential candidate Syed Anwar Hossain stated, “The case is still pending. The requisition meeting has no connection with the lawsuit. Our movement will continue.”
He further alleged that the list of valid candidates was not published on time and claimed nominations were intentionally cancelled to ensure a one-sided election outcome.
Coordinator of the panel Advocate Shamsul Alam alleged that their nominations were rejected after they refused to agree to a seat-sharing proposal from the Nationalist Lawyers’ Forum.
Black Flag Procession Announced
Meanwhile, Awami League-backed lawyers formed a 21-member panel under the banner “Rashid-Jabed-Mahtab Parishad” and attempted to participate in the election. However, they alleged that BNP- and Jamaat-backed lawyers obstructed them from even collecting nomination forms.
Panel president candidate Abdur Bodur Rashid said, “We went there under the banner of general lawyers, not with any political slogans. Yet our organizational rights were denied.”
In protest, the group announced a black flag procession and rally under the banner of general lawyers on Wednesday.
Former Bar General Secretary H M Ziauddin also accused rival groups of trying to maintain control over the bar through forceful domination.
Election Commission Rejects Allegations
However, the election commission and bar authorities rejected all allegations of irregularities. Chief Election Commissioner Roushan Ara Begum stated that the list of valid candidates had been published on May 4 and described the allegations as “completely motivated.”
General Secretary Hasan Ali Chowdhury also termed the Jamaat-backed panel’s actions as “double standards.”
Senior Lawyers Express Concern
Senior members of the legal community expressed concern over the deteriorating environment within the bar association.
Former Bar President Md. Kofil Uddin said, “The bar association was once a place of professional dignity and brotherhood. Now there are clashes, police presence, and extreme political polarization. This is deeply embarrassing for the legal profession.”
Despite the controversies, lawsuits, and political tensions, Election Officer H M Ashraf Uddin confirmed that the election — involving more than 5,000 voters and a budget exceeding Tk 5 crore — will be held on May 21 as scheduled.
FP/A