Border Guard Bangladesh (BGB) has said it returned fire immediately after India’s Border Security Force (BSF) allegedly opened fire in the Sonarhat border area of Gowainghat upazila in Sylhet, bringing the situation under control without any casualties.
In a press release issued on Tuesday (19 May), BGB said the incident occurred on Monday afternoon in an area under the jurisdiction of the Sylhet Battalion (48 BGB).
According to the press release, BSF personnel opened fire along the border, prompting BGB members to take immediate retaliatory measures.
“The situation was brought under control quickly due to the firm and professional response of BGB,” the statement said, adding that no casualties were reported and the border situation currently remains calm and stable.
BGB also said patrols and surveillance in the border area had been intensified immediately after the incident.
The border force stated that it remains on the highest level of alert regarding any provocative or undesirable incidents along the frontier and continues to carry out its duties with professionalism and firmness to protect the country’s sovereignty and border security.
It further said local public representatives and residents in border areas were being advised to refrain from illegal border crossings and any unauthorised activities near the frontier.
FP/MI